Thursday 22 March 2012

A very vegan wedding.

Last September I was contacted by a lovely lady who wanted me to create her wedding cake.

Sara (the bride) had a very specific feel in mind for her cake, her and her husband were having quite a vintage theme and Sara herself is a bit of a rockabilly lady so the cake had to mirror this.

After their very romantic engagement in New York, Sara realised she didn't want to wait to be Pete's wife and they planned the whole wedding in only six weeks! Of course top of your list of wedding priorities is always the cake so Sara visited a City Centre cake shop to book her dream cake. The shop in question obliged (at a rather hefty price) and then Sara mentioned the fact that she was a vegan and so would need a vegan friendly cake. The shop said impossible.

Hmm....I guess this is what impossible looks like then!




Sara panicked when she left the shop thinking 'well if they won't do it, no one will!' Convinced that she was going to have to pay hundreds of pounds for a cake she wouldn't even be able to eat! Then someone told her about The Hippy Hippy Cakes.
I pride myself on my vegan, diabetic and gluten free recipes, which I have carefully come up with through trial and error but I have to admit I had never attempted a 3 tier vegan wedding cake. I accepted the challenge, mostly because I was miffed that this cake shop hadn't even given making a vegan cake a second thought, just because they are a little more tricky. It took a few attempts, but in the end it worked!



Sara gave me another little task on top of all that...she decided to not tell her guests that the cake was diary and egg free, so the texture, flavour, everything had to be JUST like a 'normal' sponge and do you know what? not a single person noticed!


My favourite part of the cake and the bit which made it totally unique and personal to the couple was the sugar crafted bride and groom. I had photos of both their outfits and how they were styling their hair so the resemblance was uncanny haha! Even the pair's 2 pet cats got to make an appearance on the cake!



The sugar rose bouquet matched Sara's in colour and shape. I was really pleased with how it turned out.


We decided on using lace to add texture and really give it an old fashioned feel, along with the pearls, which in my opinion every wedding cake should have!

The end result was sort of simple and unstated with lots going on at the same time, very much like Sara!



Overall this cake has been one of my favourites to create and even better I've made a good friend whilst doing.

So I guess the moral of my story is, if someone says it's impossible, go speak to the Hippy Hippy Cake lady!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment